Elephant yam or karunai kizhangu added in a tangy delicious gravy prepared for rice. We make it just like any other puli kuzhambu. This is very good for health. We call it senai kizhangu also.
I have already tried making senai kizhangu tawa fry, senai kizhangu chips and senai kizhangu curry. But haven’t made kuzhambu with this. I made it today as I had a big half of this senai kizhangu. I have made pidi karunai kizhangu puli kuzhambu, but this one, I dont remember if I had made it before.
Also check out
Step by step pictures:
- Soak tamarind in hot water for 1/2 hour and extract tamarind juice.
- Slice off the skin of the yam and cut into small, thin squares.
- Heat the tamarind extract with more water (total 4 & 1/2 cups) and add the chopped yam to it. Let it get cooked atleast half.
- Add sambar powder, turmeric, salt and red chilli powder (if adding) to the boiling kuzhambu.
- Mean while, heat a kadai with oil and temper with fenugreek, mustard, urad dal, toor dal, cumin seeds and curry leaves in order. Add roughly chopped onion and garlic to it and fry for 2 minutes in medium flame.
- Add it to the boiling kuzhambu. let it boil until the vegetable gets cooked properly and the volume reduces.
- Lastly add jaggery, pepper powder. Once thick, add sesame oil and switch off the stove.