Shikanjvi or shikanji is lemon drink made with spices available in our pantry. It is a traditional Punjabi drink sweet, salty and tangy, with pepper.
I saw shikanjvi in Punjab grill menu here in Singapore. For a change from jal jeera, Vj ordered shikanjvi. He loved it and asked me to taste it. So tasted a sip and it was really good.
I had just made aam panna then and posted in my blog too. This drink was also similarly tasting for me. From then I wanted to try at home. Later once had chance to taste in another restaurant, it had ginger in it. So I too tried with ginger.
Basically it is lemon drink sweet, sour, salty with black pepper. Ginger and mint are just added for a twist. I doubt if Punjab grill shikanjvi had ginger, but the other restaurant had ginger for sure.
I love kala namak and roasted jeera combo. So I slightly roasted my cumin (jeera) and added in the drink. I am out of kala namak so added chaat masala, but strongly recommend kala namak.
- 2 Lemon
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper crushed
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin seeds roasted
- 1 teaspoon Black salt/ kala namak
- 2 teaspoon Sugar or as needed
- 4 Mint leaves
- ½ teaspoon Ginger
- Take black salt, sugar, crushed ginger, mint leaves, cumin seeds, black pepper in a jar.
- Muddle with back of a wooden ladle or similar stick. Squeeze in the lemon.
- Add chilled water (2 cups) and mix well.
Step by step photos
1. Take black salt, sugar, crushed ginger, mint leaves, cumin seeds, black pepper in a jar.
2. Muddle with back of a wooden ladle or similar stick. Squeeze in the lemon.
3. Add chilled water (2 cups) and mix well.
Always enjoy it chilled. If you want you can strain, but this is served as such.