Spring onion, vengaya thal can be made delicious kootu, the procedure also very simple. Learn how to make kootu with spring onion/ vengaya thal with step by step pictures, full video.
I came to know about spring onion only after marriage, once my mami made kootu out of it. I did not like it that much, but it’s the family favorite there. So far, this is the first time I am making spring onion kootu myself. I thought over years my taste would have changed towards vengaya thal kootu. When I had first time earlier, I had terrible nausea and even sambar boiling smell would make me throw up. When I tasted spring onion kootu, I did throw up. This time when I made, it came out good and Vj told it was really delicious. I still have to develop taste for it. I had with roti and it was good, but never liked it as side dish/ with rice.
How to make spring onion kootu:
- Pressure cook 1/3 cup moong dal with 1 cup water in medium flame for 4 whistles.
- Meanwhile, eliminate the root part of the spring onion. Wash thoroughly. Chop finely both the white part and green part.
- Add 3/4 cup water, salt, 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp sambar powder and 1/4 tsp sugar. Cook for 3-4 mins. spring onion gets cooked very soon.
- While it is cooked, grind 1/2 cup grated coconut with 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, little water to a paste.
- Add cooked dal, ground coconut paste and mix well. Bring to boil and switch off the flame.
- Heat a kadai/ pan and add oil. Splutter 1/2 tsp mustard, 1 tsp urad dal and add curry leaves if adding. Mix this to kootu and serve.
Serve as accompaniment for rice. I liked it with roti too.