Stovetop pizza using skillet, or you can also make this recipe on tawa. If do not own a oven, you can still make pizza on stove on a tawa/ pan/ skillet. With full video and step by step pictures.
Ever since I bought cast iron skillet in Tokyu Hands here in Singapore, I wanted to make pizza in it. Can use this skillet and bake in oven too, but many of my readers keep asking me how to make pizza on tawa over stovetop. I have not tried making on a stove, but saw this post and it was pretty simple to try. So today thought of making pizza on stove. I have used the same basic pizza dough I always use, so I have copy pasted the ingredients and initial steps.
But I used a portion of wheat flour (atta) this time. I also used butter instead of oil to supress yeast smell. So if you don’t own a oven and want to enjoy homemade pizza, you can try this simple method. For this stove top pizza, cast iron skillet or atleast our iron tawa or something that is heavy, layered bottom for best crispy and golden crust. Also using butter or oil generously for greasing gives perfectly golden crisp crust!
How to make tawa pizza video
Step by step method
- In a bowl, mix flour, salt and yeast. Mix milk and water and heat it just luke warm. Dissolve sugar in it. Now add this milk and oil/ butter to the flour and mix.
- Make a smooth dough. Knead for 5 minutes. Keep aside covered with a cling wrap. Preferably in a warm place. I keep inside the oven with oven light ON. After an hour or 1 & 1/2 hour, the dough would have doubled and risen.
- Punch it down and divide into two. Dust well and roll each ball into thick discs.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan, add butter/ oil and fry the toppings. I skipped sauteeing tomato. Collect the toppings.
- Carefully place the rolled pizza base in the pan. The heat should be low. Flip after a minute.
- Prick in few places, spread pizza/ pasta sauce, leaving the sides. Spread the toppings and sprinkle cheese over it.
- Cook covered in medium flame or low flame, until the crust is stiff and cheese is melted.
- Cut and serve immediately with chilli flakes.
Always serve hot, immediately for best tasting pizza!