I had a lone sweet potato after making some other recipe and was thinking what to make with it. Then saw this Sweet Potato Buns recipe in a cookbook I took from the library (The Best Veggie Burgers On The Planet – by Joni Marie Newman). I was more than happy to try it out. And I always wanted to experiment buns with longer kneading time, as my previous attempts has no much kneading time.
I was just amazed with the result of this buns,they were smooth,soft outside and the pores were very fine and spongy inside. I was thrilled and could not wait to taste the buns as I saw them raising,with smooth top inside the oven while it was getting baked! And more than anything my hubby tasted and approved it was tasting good(he is not a big fan of yeasted breads/buns). My kid also had it happily after he returned from the School.
Plain flour/All purpose flour/ Maida – 2 cups
+ 1/2 cup for sprinkling
Olive oil – 1/8 cup
Sugar – 1 tsp
Warm water – 1/4 cup
Milk – 1/2 cup
Salt – 3/4 tsp
Honey – 1 tsp
Active dry yeast – 3/4 tblsp
Butter – For brushing
- Pressure cook/boil the sweet potato up to 3-4 whistles with little water. Drain water, cool, peel the skin off and mash it.
- Meanwhile add yeast,sugar to the warm water and dissolve completely. Let it sit for 10 minutes, after which it would have raised double in volume.
- Add milk,oil,honey to the mashed sweet potato and mash,mix as smooth as you can, you can use a blender too if you want.
- In another large bowl,mix flour and salt. Make a dent in the middle and stir in the yeast mixture. Mix well and add the milk/potato mixture and knead to a dough.
- Sprinkle flour to make a non sticky dough while kneading. Knead well for 8-10 minutes,until smooth and elastic.
- Cling wrap the mouth of the bowl and keep aside for an hour to let it raise.
- After an hour,punch down the dough and sprinkle more flour if its sticky(only if needed) and knead again for 2 minutes.
- Divide into 6 equal balls and arrange it in a greased baking tray. Make sure you give enough space to avoid sticking to each other.
- Preheat the oven to 190o C. Bake the buns for 13-15 minutes. Take out and quickly brush the buns with generous butter. Bake again for 4-5 minutes more to make the top golden brown.
Soft,slightly sweet buns are ready to enjoy! Have it for your breakfast or dinner with butter,jam with a cup of your favourite beverage!
- If your yeast mixture doesn’t raise in step 2 then your yeast is not active, please do not attempt making the buns. You may not get it right.
- Kneading the dough is the main key to get softest buns that takes to a whole new level.
- You can replace oil with melted butter as well.
- For vegan version, use agave nectar in place of honey and soy milk in place of milk and oil in place of butter.
CELEBRATE SWEETS|SEPTEMBER 2011-SWEETS/DESSERTS WITH FRUITS & VEGETABLES
I am so very excited to host an event in my space after years! When Nivedita contacted me if I could host her event for the month of September,without any second thought I accepted right away. Thanks to her for helping in choosing the theme and the opportunity to host the event as well! So lets CELEBRATE SWEETS the month September with Sweets/dessert recipes with fruits & Vegetables!!
So send in your innovative and interesting recipes to make this event a grand success!
Here are some guide lines for the event :
- Post any sweet/dessert recipes that uses any fruit or vegetable as a main ingredient in between Sep 1st –
Sep 30thOctober 7th . Main ingredient means you should use that in the cooking process and not “garnish” with it!
- Link to the event details page of Nivedita’s blog and this post. Also include the event logo. These three things are mandatory.
- If you have any old post in your archive, either update the post with these links and logo or repost it as a new post with the links and logo.
- Send in your entry to tvijayanand1904(AT)gmail(DOT)com with “Celebrate Sweets” as subject,with (1) Your Name (2) Your Blog Name (3) Post link (4)A picture of the recipe.
- Multiple entries are allowed.
- Non bloggers are also welcome to submit their recipes, just email me the recipe with one of the picture of the recipe(clicked by yourself) that you made.
- I will take care of resizing the pictures so don”t worry about the size or dimensions.
- After your entry sent to my mail ID, if I don’t acknowledge your mail within one or two days, please leave a comment in my recent post insisting it.