Sweet potato can be made use in many ways in out cooking. As a south Indian, I make curry or just steam and have it as an evening snack. Was thinking to try this halwa for a long time and thought I will share for this Diwali recipes.
I simply love the flavour of steamed sweet potato known sakkaraivalli kizhangu in tamil. I have few times roasted in fire and had too, it will be best. But when I saw few recipes using sweet potato, I thought I should first try halwa.
In India, we get purple skin and yellow inside sweet potato which I like the best. Here I saw these bright orangish sweet potato and thought it would be nice to make sweet with it. It turned out so delicious as well as attractive. So if you get this, you can use, otherwise do try it with the sweet potato you could get you lay your hands on.
Step by step pictures
- Pressure cook sweet potato with very little water for 3 whistles and peel the skin off when its cooled. Using a potato masher, mash the sweet potato well. Add 2 tablespoon of ghee to this mashed sweet potato and fry until fragrant (8 mins).
- Add sugar and stir until it melts.
- Soak and peel the skin off badam and grind it with cashew nuts, very little water, to a smooth paste.
- Add it to the sweet potato and cook for just 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ghee and cook until gets thick, leaves the sides of the pan.
- Cook until ghee oozes out. It will take around 6 mins approx, in medium flame. Add powdered cardmaom and mix. Garnish with ghee fried cashew nuts.
Serve warm the best.