Thengai sevai or Coconut sevai is a simple and delicious south Indian rice noodles, packed with flavor. Though the ingredients are simple, this combination is amazing.
Just like coconut rice, thengai sevai is just different textured as we are using sevai in place of rice.
I have used instant sevai that is available in stores, but you can make coconut sevai as per your convenience and preference, with fresh sevai or even you can make it with idiyappam.
But I should say, thengai sevai is perfect recipe for the instant sevai. Though the pack (concord sevai) says to soak in hot water, I follow an extra step of steaming it for more softer result. Do try it out.
Below is a detailed post on how to make idiyappam. You can use it as well to prepare thengai idiyappam same way.
Step by step photos
- Soak readymade sevai in hot water for 2-3 mins.
- Drain water completely and steam cook it, by placing in a greased idli plate for 2 mins or until done.
- Heat ghee in a pan and temper the items under 'To temper' table in order.
- Add curry leaves and slit green chillies once the cashew nuts turn golden.
2. Add grated coconut and give it a stir in medium flame for a minute.
3. Add cooked sevai, required salt. Toss well to mix properly and switch off the flame.
Serve with hot mix veg sambar or tiffin sambar the best. I like it as such. I am not fan of pickle to something other than curd rice, but some say it goes well with this too.
Thengai sevai recipe
- 2 cups Cooked sevai
- ¾ cup Coconut
- Salt – As needed
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- ½ teaspoon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Urad dal
- 6 Cashew nuts
- ⅛ teaspoon Asafoetida
- 5 Green chilli
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Soak ready made sevai in boiling hot water for 2-3 mins.
- Drain water completely.
- Optional step: Steam cook it, by placing in a greased idli plate for 2 mins or until moist & soft.
- If your water is hot enough to cook the sevai, then no need. If you feel it is not cooked fluffy and soft, then you can steam it.
- Heat ghee in a pan and temper the items under 'To temper' table in order. Add curry leaves and slit green chillies once the cashew nuts turn golden.
- Add grated coconut and give it a stir in medium flame for a minute.
- Finally add cooked sevai, required salt. Toss well to mix properly and switch off the flame.
- Urad dal and cashew nut add a nice flavour to the dish, so don't skip it.
- You can use red chillies too in place of green chilli.