Thengai thogayal is a classic accompaniment for rice and rice based dishes. Coconut, urad dal and asafoetida makes a winning combo in this traditional chutney.
You can make it any time of day and perfect for travel too if you saute coconut.
Can any recipe get simpler than this? Just coconut, urad dal and asafoetida together gives this magical flavor, taste.
- Coconut - fresh grated coconut is the main ingredient in this recipe.
- Urad dal - I used whole urad dal, but you can use split urad dal as well, with or without skin.
- Asafoetida - I used solid asafoetida, use generously even if you use powder one.
- Tamarind - Any thogayal without tamarind? Especially if you make it for rice, you need an extra bit for balancing the taste.
- Red chillies - Spice up everything
See recipe card for quantities.
Gather the ingredients needed ready.
1. Heat a pan with oil firstly. Then add red chillies, urad dal and asafoetida.
2. Then roast furthermore until they turn deep golden in color.
3. Now, transfer to a plate to cool down
4. Once cooled, place the roasted items in a blender.
5. After that, add everything else on top (Salt, tamarind, coconut and water ¼ cup plus as needed)
6. Most importantly, grind coarse, not smooth. Coconut thogayal ready!
Giving the visitor ideas on how they can change this recipe to better suit their dinner guests, or their cultural cuisine, is a great way to increase the chances they make the recipe
- Spicy - add ¼ teaspoon of black pepper along while grinding. This adds spice as well as flavor.
- Urad dal - Use split urad dal with skin (karuppu ulutham paruppu) for more deep flavor and with skin it's more nutritious!
- Curry leaves - add few curry leaves for extra flavor.
See this arisi upma recipe on my website!
It stays good for couple of days (fresh) in fridge.
If you roast the coconut also well and do not use hands to handle, it will be good for travel too. But within a day you have to consume.
- The knack of getting it right, is balancing chilli, tamarind and salt.
- Also I would recommend to roast deep reddish in color for perfect flavor.
- I prefer using solid asafoetida for flavor.
- Grinding coarse and smooth gives different feel. I always like thogayal bit on coarse side.
Thengai thogayal recipe
- ½ cup Grated coconut Measure packed
- 2 tablespoon Urad dal
- 1 teaspoon Tamarind
- 6 Red chillies
- ¼ teaspoon Asafoetida
- Gather the ingredients needed ready.
- Heat a pan with oil firstly. Then add red chillies, urad dal and asafoetida.
- Roast until they turn deep golden in color.
- Transfer to a plate to cool down
- Place the roasted items and everything else in a blender
- I first powder it for 10 seconds. Then add around ¼ cup water plus little more, and grind to a thick yet coarse paste.
- I would recommend to roast deep reddish in color for perfect flavor.