Ulundhu kali is made for its health benefits, especially for women, it strengthens hip and body coolant with loads of sesame oil added in preparation. Full video, Step by step pictures post.
I have had ulundhu kali few times before marriage, not a big fan of it as taste is the first preference those times. In recent times, amma keeps insisting to include urad dal whenever I complain about back pain. She makes sure, every visit she prepares ulundhu urundai and passes to me. Even my in-laws love it. But I have been lazy to prepare ulundhu kali, only once or twice have tried. Many reader friends have asked me to share this recipe. So I thought it’s high time for me to learn, make, to post as well.
Do include this once in a month atleast for your well being. I have prepared with karupatti as I had in stock and wanted to make use of it, but you can prepare with jaggery as my mom does. Karupatti is less sweet comparatively, so adjust the quantity accordingly. Make sure to use good, chemical free product, chekku nallenei (cold pressed sesame oil) to get the fullest health benefits.
Rice is added as thickening agent so that the kali is not too much of gooeyness. Otherwise its just optional. Again I have used rice in the recipe, but you can replace with rice flour too. If you have store bought urad dal floor, you can use it too.
Ulundhu kali recipe Step by step pictures:
- Dry roast urad dal in a pan until golden in colour. In the same pan dry roast rice until slightly golden.
- Cool down, powder finely together.
- Heat a pan with jaggery, 1/2 cup water. Once it boils, add the powdered urad dal mixture. Switch off the stove and stir briskly with whisk. Keep stirring until smooth.
- Again add 1/4 cup water and mix well. Start heating again, add 2 more tablespoon of water once that extra water is incorporated. Keep stirring in medium flame.
- Add one tbsp of oil at a time and mix. Once cooked and all the 3 tbsp is added, try touching the mixture with water smeared hands, it should not stick to your hand and resembles halwa. Switch off the stove.