Upma adai is a snack made at my mom's place. Like we make upma kozhukattai, upma adai also similar, just make adai instead of making kozhukattai. This has been in my to do list for long time,my mom makes this,I used to love this a lot…She makes rarely though. I recently was going through my cookbook collections, I saw very similar recipe in aval vikatan supplementary …so I mixed up the both and tried today. Liked so much. My mom makes for dinner. We can make this as evening snack or along with another dish for dinner. I made small patties just like I saw in aval vikadan…(They have given a name “vandi chakkaram
My mom’s version ,she doesn't uses black pepper and jeera,instead she uses red chillies and also she doesn’t add coconut much. So here's the hybrid.
|Toor dal/Thuvaram paruppu
|1& ½ tblsp
|Cumin seeds / jeera
|2 & ¼ cup
|Chopped- 1 tbsp
Upma adai method:
- Clean and soak rice and dal for at least 2 hours. Drain water, spread in a clean cotton kitchen towel.
- First grind pepper and jeera just a little and then add the soaked rice and dal and grind carefully to rawa consistency as shown in the picture.
- Heat kadai and temper with the items given under the table.
- Add water and bring to boil. Add grated coconut.
- In goes ground rice mixture, Mix well.
- Cook covered in low flame for 4-5 mins.Cook till it absorbs water almost. Add the coconut oil(if desired) and mix well and switch off the stove.
- After cooling down take desired sized ball and make adai.
- I made small adais and shaped it with a lid. You can skip this step and make bigger adais as well.
- I used a polythene sheet and a glove. But for eco friendly and avoiding plastic, use banana leaf, grease bare hands. Grease the surface and hand for each time. Heat a dosa pan and drizzle little oil or ghee and toast these adais in medium flame each side for about 2 mins.
Serve with coconut chutney or tangy chutney or coriander chutney the best of all!!
You can grind rice,dal ,pepper and jeera to rawa consistency in mill and keep. Whenever you want you can follow the same method(no soaking part) and enjoy! I thoroughly enjoyed these,in fact I could not resist myself eating while i was making adais and also after I made while taking pictures too 😉. Tastes good even if it cools down,so you can make it as a snack for any get together too!