Vazhaithandu sweet pachadi with banana stem, tamarind, jaggery, coconut as main ingredients. With step by step pictures.
Whenever I buy banana stem, I make vazhaithandu poriyal most of the times. Very rarely I have made vazhaithandu kootu, sambar or mor kuzhambu. I knew mom makes sweet pachadi with it. I vaguely remember the taste. Was thinking of trying out, so last week had little vazhaithandu left after making poriyal. It was too less for making poriyal again and am not a big fan of sambar with it. So thought would make pachadi with it just for me and Vj. I followed the same way as I make mango pachadi, just added tamarind as vazhaithandu needs some tangy touch. Turned out really good and I had as such. Goes well with vathal kuzhambu, puli kuzhambu or sambar.
How to prepare vazhaithandu sweet pachadi step by step pictures
- Remove the outer rings, that come out as strips of banana stem and slice the middle portion into thin circles.
- Remove the excess fibre. Then cut into thin strips by stacking them and chop it. Keep immersed in water mixed with buttermilk all the times after cutting.
- Boil the chopped banana stem in water just to immerse it. Cook it with salt in medium flame until done.
- Add jaggery, tamarind extract. Boil for 2 mins.
- Grind coconut with rice flour and little water to a paste.
- Add the ground paste to the pachadi and mix well. Bring to boil.
- Temper with mustard, urad dal, red chilli, curry leaves and mix to the pachadi.
We had with cluster beans sambar, cauliflower curry and rice.