Veg manchurian is a popular Indo chinese dish. This gravy can be prepared easily at home. Step by step photos.
I tasted vegetbale manchurian as starter first at Sangeeta’s home. Since I liked it, I immediately asked her the recipe and tried at home. Then totally forgot it. After many years, me, Nags and Jey met at Mayura and we ordered veg manchurian gravy. It was really delicious and the manchurian balls were so soft and juicy. Then I really wanted to try it out again, next time I tried at Indian wok, it wasn’t that great, but I wanted to try at home.
Even Aj suggested me to try it out and post it here in my blog 😎. So I tried it few days back and we both loved it. Vj came late back from office, so I did not keep it as it wont be that good if we refrigerate it. Its not that complicated to make it at home, Once you make the manchurian balls, its ready in few mins. Only chopping veggies and garlic is something to do as work in this…
You can obviously make the vegetable manchurian balls and have it as such as starter. It's so addictive that it will be hard for your to avoid eating it while frying it. For low fat variation, you can do it in the paniyaram pan/ appe pan.
For vegetable manchurian balls
- 2 cups Cabbage finely chopped
- ¼ cup Carrot finely chopped
- ¼ cup Beans finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon All purpose flour/ maida
- 2 tablespoon Corn flour heaped
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Soya sauce
- 4 Spring onion sprigs
- 6 Garlic flakes big variety, finely chopped
- 2 Fresh red ripe chilli/ green chilli
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder Kashmiri, Optional - just for colour
- 1 teaspoon Pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon Soya sauce ½ tablespoon extra can be added
- 2 tablespoon Chilli Tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Corn flour heaped
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tablespoon Oil
Veg Manchurian balls :
- Chop very finely all the 3 veggies. You can do it with knife or even use food processor.
- Take all the ingredients except salt, mix.
- Add salt just before you make and mix, otherwise it will leave water.
- Wet your hands, make gooseberry size balls.
- Heat enough oil to deep fry and fry in hot oil.
- Cook in medium flame to ensure even cooking. Do not make the balls too large or else inside wont get cooked properly.
- Deep fry until dark golden colour. Drain in paper towel, keep aside.
- Keep all the ingredients needed ready. Heat oil add chopped garlic and fry for 30 seconds in high flame.
- Lower the flame. Add soy sauce, tomato chilli sauce, pepper powder, chilli powder if adding and give it a mix.
- Dissolve the corn flour in water and pour it. Tip in vinegar. Keep stirring until the mix starts boiling and changes into dark colour.
- Once the gravy is thick and shiny, add the fried manchurian balls and chopped spring onion and mix well.
- Switch off the flame and transfer to the serving bowl.
- My tomato chilli sauce is sweet by itself. If using any other not so sweet sauce, I would recommend to add ¾ teaspoon of sugar in the gravy.
- If you want you can add ½ teaspoon of aji no moto in the gravy.
- You can increase the corn flour to thicken the gravy according to your preference.
- Though chilli powder is not authentic, you can add just for the colour and balance in taste.
How to make veg manchurian gravy:
- First prepare veg Manchurian balls:
Chop very finely all the 3 veggies. You can use food processor if you have. Take all the ingredients and mix. The flour should bind the ingredients. Add salt just before you make and mix, otherwise it will leave water. The water in the vegetables is enough for binding.
- Heat enough oil to deep fry and wet your hands, make gooesberry size balls and deep fry in hot oil. Cook in medium flame to ensure even cooking. Do not make the balls too large or else inside wont get cooked properly. Deep fry until dark golden colour.
- Drain in paper towel, keep aside. Now to gravy. Keep all the ingredients needed ready. Heat oil add chopped garlic and fry for 30 secs in high flame.
- Add soya sauce, tomato chilli sauce, pepper powder, chilli powder and give it a mix.
- Dissolve the corn flour in water and pour it. Keep stirring until the mix starts boiling and changes into dark colour.
- Once the gravy is thick and shiny, add the fried manchurian balls and chopped spring onion and mix well. Switch off the flame and transfer to the serving bowl.