Basmati/ long grain rice -1 cup
Cabbage,chopped – 1 cup
Carrot – 1
Capsicum – 1
Spring onion – 6 sprigs
Pepper – 1 & 1/4 tsp
Soy sauce – 1 tsp
Ajinomoto(optional) -1/2 tsp
Salt – As needed
Olive oil – 4 tbsp
- Soak basmati rice for 20 mins and cook rice with 1 & 1/2 cups water. Cool and make the grains separate. You can keep refrigerated for best results. Or even use leftover rice.
- Cut the veggies as long thin strips as shown in the picture. Chop the base white part of spring onion and the green part separately.
- Edited to Add: This is the way I julienne the carrots.Hope it is clear to understand. First cut into thin slices as shown in picture, then stack the slices and cut into julienne.
- Heat a broad pan and add the olive oil. First add the white part of the spring onion and then carrot,cabbage and capsicum,in order one by one,frying each for a minute. (add ajinomoto at this stage,if wanted)
- Lastly add the pepper and soya sauce and give it a stir.Add the spring onion green part and give it a stir. All the process has to be done in high flame.
- Transfer this to the cooled rice along with salt and mix well. Toss all together in a wide wok until you hear rice crackling sound. Eat hot !!
I prefer this to serve with any kind of Manchurian side dish!
I used freshly ground black pepper powder, you can substitute with white pepper powder.
Don’t over fry the veggies,retain its colour and crunchiness.
Be liberal in adding olive oil. Always eat hot!!