Vegetable palav or pulao using Sona masuri rice, fresh ground masala. Learn how to make vegetable palav step by step.
I got to know about this karnataka style vegetable palav only after seeing tempting drool worthy pictures from my instagram feed, that too, with chutney generously poured over it, served on a banana leaf. It was so different from the pulao we usually make with basmati rice. It is made with sona masuri/ sona masoori rice they grow locally and the chutney combo is way too tempting for me to try. I have been trying for quite a few times and loving it as I constantly look for this kind of variety rice, pulao, biryani recipes. I adapted a recipe from youtube, and adapted little change in method by grinding mint and coriander as I wanted my palav to look on green side.
It turns out really good and the best part is I can use my regular cooking rice and give whistles just not to keep on dum or slow cook. Follow this exact measurements and you will have a delicious karnataka style palav to treat yourself and your family.
Do not forget the chutney, please do refer my coconut coriander chutney and try the combo.
- Slice onion, chop tomato into cubes. Cut the vegetables as per the size you want. If you have peas, you can add peas too. Keep cauliflower immersed in hot water with salt.
- Place peeled garlic, ginger, onion, cardamom, clove, cinnamon, star anise, marathi moggu, green chilli, mint and coriander leaves in a blender. Grind smoothly. Soak sona masuri rice for just 10 mins. Boil 2 cups water for using later in step 8.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil and add biryani leaf followed by sliced onion. Add all the chopped veggies, tomato except cauliflower.
- Pour the ground paste over the vegetables. Add coriander seeds powder, turmeric, little salt just for the vegetables. Mix and cook covered in medium or low flame. Wait until oil separates and the raw smell of the masala goes away. (5-8 mins)
- Add 2 cups of hot boiling water and soaked rice. Drop in the cauliflower, strained from water.
- Squeeze lemon juice, add required salt and mix well.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles in medium flame. Fluff once pressure is gone.
Serve hot with coconut chutney. Best combo 😍😋