Vegetable sagu is a popular side dish prepared in Karnataka with a special fresh ground masala. This particular recipe is slightly greenish in color typically because of the ground paste we add.
Goes well with Poori as well as Rava idli and other dishes like chapati, dosa etc.
This tastes similar to my other recipe on this site, and pairs well with this amazing sponge dosa recipe.
Veg sagu is a flavorful side for poori. I have tried couple of times before without knowing it is sagu.
I adapted slightly from here. So here's my version of the recipe.
Here are the ingredients I used for to prepare this dish. You can also add more vegetables like knol khol (wild cabbage)
- Mixed vegetables - Carrot, beans, cauliflower, potato, peas
- Masala paste - Roasted gram dal, cashew, coconut, green chilli, onion, garlic, coriander leaves, cumin seeds, cinnamon, clove, cardamom, marathi moggu, star anise.
See recipe card for full list and exact quantities.
1. Place all the ingredients under 'To grind' in a mixie.
2. Blend it smoothly with ¼ cup water.
3. Heat a heavy bottomed pan with ghee+ oil. Once hot, add the ingredients under 'To temper' in order.
Then in goes curry leaves, asafoetida and turmeric. Give it a fry.
4. After that add finely chopped onion.
5. Saute until it turns translucent.
6. In goes vegetables. I add all except cauliflower.
7. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and continue sauteing for 2 minutes.
8. Pour 2 cups water to it and salt as needed. Boil for 2 minutes.
9. After that, add cauliflower and continue furthermore for 2 minutes.
10. Let the vegetables get cooked just right, do not over cook.
11. Now, add the ground paste.
12. Slightly adjust water, salt if needed. Simmer for 4 minutes more or until the sagu gets a homogenous consistency.
13. Do not forget to stir in between to avoid burnt bottom.
14. Switch off the flame. Finally squeeze some lemon and mix well.
Enjoy with your favorite dish, I had with poori.
- Do not use thin stainless steel vessel for boiling as it will let it get burnt in the bottom.
- Instead of boiling vegetables, you can give it a whistle in pressure cooker too. Aj doesn't like pressure cooked vegetables texture, so I always boil.
- Since khus khus is banned in Singapore I have used cashews in place of it. If you have stock you can use 1 tsp.
- I used roughly 8 beans, 1 potato, 1 large carrot, ½ cup fresh green peas.
- You can also use knol khol along this.
Vegetable sagu recipe
- 2 cups Mixed vegetables Beans, carrot, cauliflower, potato, peas
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- ½ Lemon
- 2 tablespoon Oil + ghee
- ½ teaspoon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 Biryani leaf
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ⅛ teaspoon Asafoeitda
- ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric
- ¼ cup Coconut
- ¼ cup Coriander loosely filled
- ¼ Onion cubed
- 2 teaspoon Ginger
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 4 Green chillies
- 4 Cashews
- 1 tablespoon fried gram dal
- 1 teaspoon Coriander seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ inch Cinnamon
- 1 Cardamom
- 1 Clove
- ¼ Star anise
- 1 small Marathi moggu
- Place all the ingredients under 'To grind' in a mixie.¼ cup Coconut, ¼ cup Coriander, 2 teaspoon Ginger, 3 cloves Garlic, 4 Green chillies, 4 Cashews, 1 tablespoon fried gram dal, 1 teaspoon Coriander seeds, ¼ teaspoon Cumin seeds, ½ inch Cinnamon, 1 Cardamom, 1 Clove, ¼ Star anise, 1 small Marathi moggu, ¼ Onion
- Grind it smoothly with ¼ cup water.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan with ghee+ oil. Once hot, add the ingredients under 'To temper' in order.2 tablespoon Oil + ghee, ½ teaspoon Mustard, 1 teaspoon urad dal, 1 Biryani leaf, 1 sprig curry leaves
- Then in goes curry leaves, asafoetida and turmeric. Give it a fry.⅛ teaspoon Asafoeitda, ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric
- After that add finely chopped onion.1 Onion
- Saute until it turns translucent.
- In goes vegetables. I add all except cauliflower.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt and continue sauteing for 2 minutes.
- Pour 2 cups water to it and salt as needed. Cook for 2 minutes.
- After that, add cauliflower and boil furthermore for 2 minutes.
- Let the vegetables get cooked just right, do not over cook.
- Now, add the ground paste. Slightly adjust water, salt if needed.
- Boil for 4 minutes more or until the sagu gets a homogenous consistency.
- Do not forget to stir in between to avoid burnt bottom.
- Finally add lemon juice and mix.
Leave a Reply