Vellai pongal recipe, is basic pongal made with rice cooked in milk. Creamy pongal is had as main dish on pongal day with sambar.
We make along with sakkarai pongal on the day of Pongal. It’s just plain cooked rice, only that this is having milk in it. My Mom and MIL does this in vengala paanai. Pongal is always cooked in vengala panai, but I make in cooker (pot shaped). Though there is nothing special in this recipe, still the fresh harvested rice from the farms cooked along with milk is supposed to taste heavenly.
We don’t cook the plain rice on the day of pongal as we usually do. Instead, use this pongal to eat with kootu, sambar… My MIL bought a cute tiny vengala panai fo rme for making this, but I never bought it here still as every time the weight of luggage is always a problem 🤐. When I celebrated pongal in 2018 along with whole in-law’s family, I realized how yummy it is to mix with pongal sambar.
Vellai pongal recipe
- ½ cup Raw rice
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 3 cups Water
- Salt - A pinch
- Boil milk+ water in a heavy bottomed vessel. Wash rice well, drain and add it to the boiling milk
- Cook in medium flame until the water+ milk gets absorbed and rice gets cooked soft. Mash it well, add salt and keep stirring at this stage to avoid pongal getting stuck to the bottom of the vessel.
- Adjust milk and water measurement according to the rice variety. New rice need lesser and old rice need more.
- Add salt according to the taste but we just add a pinch only. Add it towards the end.
- Add more hot water at the end if the rice is not cooked.
- You can also do in pressure cooker. Reduce water quantity accordingly and pressure cook for 5 whistles.
Vellai pongal method:
- Boil milk+ water in a heavy bottomed vessel. Wash rice well, drain and add it to the boiling milk.
- Cook in medium flame until the water+ milk gets absorbed and rice gets cooked soft. Mash it well, add salt. Keep stirring at this stage to avoid pongal getting stuck to the bottom of the vessel.
This is how we offer to God. In the banana leaf with flattened at the top, pour ghee in the dent and garnish with sliced banana. (of course with all the other spread)