Vendakkai sambar recipe, Ladies finger sambar – Basic south Indian sambar recipe as we do in Tamil nadu. Sambar is an everyday staple for Tamil lunch menu. I am a big fan of vendakkai sambar. My mom makes it perfectly and she even says it is perfect for beginners in cooking as it comes out easily tasty, how ever you do small mistakes. I too feel its the easy and never fail sambar recipe. Well but I think it depends on personal taste too. I love this sambar so it comes out well every time without fail. I am a big fan of this sambar mom makes. It will be spicy and mild tangy. And gets ready soon when compared to my MIL’s version. I will post another sambar recipe using her sambar powder and method. I wanted to post basic sambar recipe here in my blog, as it would be helpful to many who are learning to cook south Indian cooking.
And also ladies finger needs special treatment before adding to sambar, so I thought I will post this basic sambar recipe using my mom’s sambar powder with vendakkai. I made this long time back and kept this in draft postponing. Today, while many of you enjoying Biryani (Eid Mubarak! 😊) here is a simple humble sambar recipe.
Since this is basic recipe, I want to share some of the basic details for beginners.
- Toor dal – split pigeon pea – thuvaram paruppu used mainly in lunch sambar recipes.
- Vendhayam – fenugreek seeds – adds flavour for sambars.
- Few drops of Sesame oil is used while cooking toor dal for making it cook soft, easy and quick.
- Sesame oil is used to sautee (pre cook ladies finger) to get rid off the slimey nature.
- Ladies finger – vendakkai – okra – should be added after sauteeing to avoid the smiley nature.
- I have used my mom’s sambar powder: https://www.rakskitchen.net/2013/06/2-sambar-powder-recipe-homemade-sambar.html, you can use store bought sambar powder too.
- For perfect sambar, dal should be good quality and cooked well.
- Using tomato is optional in this recipe.
Ladies finger sambar ready , top with a tsp of ghee over along with hot steamed rice, perfect for your lunch!