Wheatgrass juice is best way to include it in our diet. Natural way to improve immunity. Learn how to make it palatable to begin with this superfood.
A healthy way to start your day with this energizing drink.
Wheatgrass is something new but always available easily at Singapore Fairprice.
I always thought wheatgrass is Indian Arugampul (Bermuda grass) as both are said to be healthy.
Never dared to try as I am not very keen about including it in diet. But once read that it helps in building immunity.
It was from a person who fought with Cancer and vouched how it helped developing immunity.
So thought of giving it a try and took a pack. For the endemic, we do need some form of routine to develop our immunity naturally, right.
Even then I kept it as such for 3-4 days and then only tried it. Was so scared about the smell.
How to include wheatgrass in your diet?
When you just want to begin with wheatgrass, it's best to start with small amount. 30 ml will be apt.
How does it smell?
It smells just like raw grass (the same smell when you cut grass in your lawn)
How to consume it without the raw green smell?
Balance the taste with lemon juice, black salt (kala namak) and add roasted cumin seeds powder for flavor. All these works like charm to make it palatable.
What are the ways to consume wheatgrass?
You can either have it as such as shots (very hard if you are like me) or combine it with other fruit juices or smoothies.
When should we drink wheatgrass juice?
Best time to drink wheatgrass juice is when consumed in empty stomach to get the best health benefits.
Please first start with just little amount and see if it suits you or have any side effects. Then gradually increase if you want. But everyday or every alternate day 30 ml is enough.
- Naturally improves immunity.
- Boosts metabolism and thus helps with weight loss.
- Rich in fiber, vitamins and nutrients.
- Regulates cholesterol
and many more.
Below is the pack of wheatgrass I get here in Singapore Fairprice.
- Fresh wheatgrass
- Roasted cumin seeds powder - I always have roasted cumin seeds ground in my fridge (Bhuna jeera powder)
- Black salt - Known as kala namak in India, you can source online or in Indian stores
- Ice cold water
See recipe card for quantities.
1. Clean the wheatgrass firstly. I soak in water with vinegar water for 15 minutes.
2. After that drain from water and chop roughly.
3. Place it in blender. Grind it with little water (½ cup to ¾ cup).
4. Add more water furthermore if needed. Grind smoothly.
5. Use a metal strainer to filter the juice.
6. Squeeze out possible liquid and discard the fiber. There will be a lot!
7. Now take roasted cumin powder and kala namak in a serving glass.
8. After that squeeze lemon on top of it.
9. Pour 30 ml of extracted wheatgrass juice.
10. Top it with cold water as needed until balanced. I add around 150 to 200 ml for 30 ml wheatgrass.
Hint: I used my Panasonic mixie and it did quite a good job.
Since we get a bunch of wheatgrass, it is not possible to consume immediately.
You can pour in ice trays.
Once frozen, keep it in ziploc and use as needed.
- 100 grams Fresh wheatgrass
- ¼ teaspoon Roasted cumin seeds powder per serving
- ¼ teaspoon Black salt per serving
- ½ Lemon per serving
- 200 ml Ice cold water per serving
- Clean the wheatgrass firstly. I soak in water with vinegar water for 15 minutes.
- After that drain from water and chop roughly.
- Place it in blender. Grind it with little water (½ cup to ¾ cup)
- Add water furthermore if needed. Grind smoothly.
- Use a metal strainer to filter the juice. Squeeze out possible liquid and discard the fiber. There will be a lot!
- Now take roasted cumin seeds powder and kala namak in a serving glass.
- After that, squeeze lemon on top of it
- Pour 30 ml of extracted wheatgrass juice.
- Top it with cold water as needed until balanced.
- Enjoy immediately.
- You can pour in ice trays. Once frozen, keep it in ziploc and use as needed.