Coconut milk veg biryani recipe
Coconut milk vegetable biryani, made in shortcut method in pressure cooker. No grind biryani without ginger garlic paste too.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Soaking time10 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1 cup Coconut milk medium thick
- 1 cup Mixed cut veggies carrot,potato, beans, green peas
- 2 Onion sliced
- 2 Green chilli
- 2 tbsp Mint & coriander leaves each
- 1/2 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 cup Water
- 2 Cardamom
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 2 Bay leaf
- 1 tbsp Oil/ ghee
- Salt as needed
Soak basmati rice for 10 - 15 minutes, and fry it with 1/4 tsp ghee in a kadai and keep aside.
In a heavy bottomed vessel or cooker, add 1 tbsp of ghee .
Add cardamom, cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon, followed by green chilli and onion.
Fry until onion turns transparent and then add the cut vegetables, followed by mint,coriander leaves and the powders(Red chilli,garam masala,turmeric).
Add one tbsp of oil/ghee and mix well. Add little salt to the vegetables and fry for another two minutes.
Add water,coconut milk ,salt to this and stir well. I used coconut milk powder, you can also use readymade coconut milk available at stores.
If using powder, add the powder after you add 2 cups water to the veggies and add it before the water starts boiling,to avoid forming any lumps.
Add the basmati rice and when it starts boiling and rice if half done,simmer the stove to lowest heat and cook covered for 12 -14 mins.
Or you can give two whistles, but close the lid as soon as the water boils and cook in medium flame.
- Roasting rice gives separate grains, but it takes little extra water to cook. So if you skip roasting, reduce water too.
- I add cauliflower just before closing the lid for pressure cooking. otherwise it gets mushy.
- Once you open the cooker, it will look gooey, but as time passes, the grains will separate.
- I just use 3-4 tbsp of coconut cream powder. Even if using coconut cream in carton, use in diluted form.