Homemade potato chips recipe
Homemade potato chips recipe with quick video, step by step pictures. Crispy, light and easy to make at home. Salt and pepper flavour.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Resting time10 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 4 cups
- 4 Potatoes Russet variety
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp Black pepper powder
- Oil to deep fry
First wash and peel potatoes and keep it immersed in water.
Using a sharp mandolin slicer, slice the potatoes into thin, even thickness slices.
Keep it immersed in water. Again wash it one more time with generous water to get rid of all the excess starch. Water should run clear.
Drain the slices from water and spread in a kitchen cloth into a single layer.
Pat off excess water, set aside for 15 mins. There should not be any excess water over the potato slices.
Heat enough oil and add the potato slices in a sprinkled way.
Keep cooking with stirring several times to ensure even cooking.
Meanwhile, dissolve salt in water.
Once the potatoes become light, bubbles reduce, sprinkle the salt solution, about one tbsp.
Let the sizzling stop completely. Drain over paper towel.
Sprinkle few pinches of black pepper powder and toss well.
Repeat to finish and let it cool completely before storing in airtight containers.
- Let the potato slices be even in thickness. Not too thin, not too thick. Check video for reference.
- Regulate heat as and when needed. When you drop the potato slices, let the oil be hot. Towards end, you can try to put in medium to not let the chips change colour, yet turns crispy.
- My mom always uses black pepper, you can use red chilli powder too.
- If you are afraid of sprinkling salt solution (though it wont splatter over hands) you can skip that step and sprinkle salt along with pepper powder.