Aval sakkarai pongal recipe
Aval sakkarai pongal or poha sweet pongal is a quick way to enjoy when you crave for sakkarai pongal. Quick video, step by step pictures.
- 1/2 cup aval/ poha flattened rice
- 3 tbsp cooked moong dal
- 1/2 cup powdered jaggery
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 5 cashews
- 10 raisins
- 1 clove
- 1 cardamom
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch edible camphor
- 1 pinch salt
First keep ready cooked moong dal. Gather the other ingredients. Sieve poha through a metal strainer to get rid of dust. Hand pick any larger impurities.
In a heavy bottomed pan, heat powdered jaggery with 1/4 cup water.
Just melt it completely and filter through metal strainer, set aside.
Wash and use the same pan to heat 1 tsp of ghee. Roast cashews until pale yellow, add clove, raisin and roast until raisin bloats up. Drain from ghee, set aside.
In the same ghee, roast aval/ poha (flattened rice) in medium flame until it puffs up.
- Make sure to cook aval properly before adding jaggery.
- Add edible camphor carefully as it will over power the other flavours.
- Ghee quantity can be adjusted as per our taste.
- Finally the pongal should look glossy and loose in texture.