Oats pongal recipe
Learn how to make oats pongal, south Indian style pongal with step by step pictures.
- ½ cup Oats I used Quaker quick cook
- ¼ cup Moong dal/ pasi paruppu
- ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric
- Salt as needed
- 1 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Ghee/ oil
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 & ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Chopped
- 2 Green Chilli
- 1 Curry leaves sprig
Pressure cook moong dal until mushy with ¾ cup water for 3 whistles in medium flame.
Crush pepper and cumin seeds coarsely , slit the green chilli.
Heat a pan with ghee/oil and temper with the items given in order under medium flame.
Add water,turmeric and salt and bring to boil.
Add the cooked dal and oats and mix well.
Cook until you get a porridge consistency.
Cook covered in low flame for 2-3 minutes or until you get your desired consistency.
- The consistency can be varied according to your wish just adjust the water ratio.
- You can also cook everything in pressure cooker together. But sometimes dal is not getting cooked properly.
- Always eat the pongal hot.