Murukku Kuzhambu recipe
Murukku kuzhambu is a tamarind based gravy just like any other puli kuzhambu, with leftover murukku added to it. If you are familiar with appalam kuzhambu, then you should try this.
Click here to read the recipe in tamil
Click here for cup measurements
- 2 cups Murukku roughly broken
- ½ cup Onion chopped
- 1 Tomato
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind tightly packed
- 1 tablespoon Sambar powder heaped
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric
- ½ teaspoon Jaggery
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper powder
- Salt as needed
- 2 tablespoon Oil - 2
- ½ teaspoon Mustard
- ¼ teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
Soak tamarind in hot water for an hour and extract tamarind juice. Adjust water to make it 3 cups.
In a kadai, temper with the items given under 'To temper' table.
Add finely chopped onion.Once onion turns transparent, add finely chopped tomato. Let it become soft.Meanwhile, boil tamarind extract with turmeric, sambar powder and salt.
Add sauteed onion tomato to the boiling kuzhambu.I broke roughly two large murukku.
Add the broken murukku to the kuzhambu and simmer for 10 mins.
Once the kuzhambu is thick, add jaggery, pepper powder, mix well and switch off the stove.
- You can add vegetables like drumstick, brinjal or any country veggies.
- If kuzhambu is too thick, add more water to adjust in step 5.
- Do not have sambar powder? you can add 1 & ½ teaspoon red chilli powder and 1 teaspoon coriander seeds powder.