Sambar sadam recipe
Sambar sadam recipe with full video, stepwise pictures. Tamil nadu style sambar sadam, an one pot meal with mixed vegetables, small onions.
- ½ cup Rice
- ⅓ cup Toor dal
- 1 teaspoon Tamarind packed
- Mixed veggies As needed
- ½ cup Shallots/small onion peeled
- 2 Green chillies
- 1 Tomato
- ½ teaspoon Sambar powder ready made
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric
- A generous pinch Asafoetida
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 tablespoon Coriander leaves chopped
- ½ teaspoon Jaggery
- Salt as needed
TO ROAST AND GRIND
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 4 Red chillies long variety
- 1 tablespoon Channa dal
- 1.5 teaspoon Coriander seeds
- ⅛ teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
- 2 tablespoon Coconut grated
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ⅛ teaspoon Asafoetida
Cook rice and dal, extract tamarind juice and keep aside. I cook rice and dal separately as I do not like rice get mashed too much(which will happen if we cook together rice and dal). So If you want you can cook both together too.
Heat kadai and roast to golden brown,the ingredients under ‘To roast and grind table’ with a teaspoon of ghee/oil except coconut. Roast coconut separately.
Cool down and grind to coarse powder or paste with little water and keep a side.
Heat kadai and temper with the items given under ‘to temper’ table. Add curry leaves followed by onion,slit green chillies and fry till the onions start to turn golden.Add the tomatoes and fry till soft.Add the tamarind extract,bring to boil. Add the turmeric,sambar powder,asafoetida and the chopped veggies.When the vegetables get cooked,add jaggery,the ground sambar powder and bring to boil.Add the sambar powder gradually while stirring,as there are chances of forming lumps.Add this to the cooked rice.I used a pot shaped pressure cooker for making sambar rice. Add the mashed dal and mix well with out mashing the veggies. Add hot water if its too thick. I just mix under low flame for 2 minutes.Let the sambar rice be in a loose consistency. After cooled down, it tends to get thick,so let the consistency be according to that.Top with 2 teaspoon ghee and coriander leaves.
- I added ½ of a drumstick,1 brinjal,½ carrot and ½ potato. You can add your choice of veggies.. I like potato the best…
- While adding the veggies,add the veggie which takes longer time to cook first, followed by the other veggies depending on their cooking time.
- I usually cut the veggies in to small pieces to ensure easy cooking(except drumstick and brinjal in this case)
- I have used both the sambar powder and fresh sambar masala. you can use any of one too, adjust the quantity accordingly.
- If you want to skip the roasting, grinding part, use 1 tablespoon store bought sambar powder (or homemade everyday use sambar powder) Just make sure to add generous asafoetida for flavour.
- You can temper at the last step too.