Curd rice / Thayir sadam recipe
Curd rice recipe - Learn how to make perfect creamy south Indian curd rice with step by step pictures and tips for delicious results!
- 1/2 cup Raw rice I used sona masoori
- 1/2 cup Curd/ plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 tsp Butter optional
- 2 tbsp Mango chopped finely
- 2 tbsp Cucumber chopped finely
- 1 tbsp Carrot chopped finely
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves chopped finely
- Curry leaves - few
- 1 Green chilli chopped finely
- 1 tsp Ginger chopped very finely
- Salt - as needed
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 generous pinch Asafoetida
- 1 tbsp Cashew nuts broken
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
Wash the rice thrice and pressure cook with 1 & 3/4 cups of water for 5 whistles in medium flame.
Once done, mash the rice well and mix boiled, hot milk(add butter at this stage).
Add more water if needed. Let it cool down.
Add the curd and mix well. Add all the other ingredients in the table and mix well.
Lastly temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ table.
- The ingredients like carrot, cucumber,mango are optional. Its subject to availability ;) Even cashews are optional.
- Butter is also optional, but if you make it for any special occasion, do add it, it gives a nice creamy flavour!
- Sometimes instead of veggies I add fruits too. Grapes, pomegranate and apple are perfect for it.
- Do not add cold milk to the hot rice. Heat milk and add it.
- Instead of milk, you can add hot water too, but milk gives richness to the curd rice.
- Before adding curd, ensure the rice is cooled down, because adding curd to hot rice will kill the live cultures in the curd and may not be friendly to your tummy!
- Please adjust the milk, curd and water quantity according to the consistency you need.
- If you like tangy taste, add more of curd.
- I would suggest for more milk and less curd and addition of chilli and cucumber prevents the curd rice turning too sour/tangy, when packing for lunch box.
- You can even add the chillies and ginger while you temper.
- If you make curd rice for kids, avoid green chilli.