Easy onion tomato chutney recipe
Onion tomato chutney recipe with attractive red colour, that we call it as red chutney. One of the south Indian chutney which is served as part of breakfast like idli dosa.
- 2 Onion small sized
- 2 Tomato small sized
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- Salt - As needed
- 2 tsp Oil
- ½ tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
Chop onion and tomato into cubes. Grind to a smooth paste without water.
Heat a kadai with oil and temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ table in order. Pour the ground paste and add 1/4 cup water, red chilli powder and salt. Mix well.
Cook in medium flame for 4-5 mins or until the chutney gets the desired consistency. It should not get too thick. Should be similar to the other chutney consistency. So adjust water accordingly.
- Adjust the chilli powder according to the tanginess of tomatoes.
- I used small sized tomato and onion so used 2 each.
- Used kashmiri red chilli powder. Its the best to give bright red colour.
- You can add a pinch of sugar for a different taste.
- Use asafoetida powder while tempering if you like.