Kadalai paruppu chutney
Chana dal chutney or kadalai paruppu chutney with tomato, red chilli and asafoetida along with chana dal, makes a great accompaniment for idli dosa.
- 4 tbsp Chana dal / Kadalai paruppu
- 1 Tomato small
- 7 Red chillies
- 2 tbsp Coconut grated
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- 2 tsp Oil
- Salt - As needed
- 1 tsp Oil
- ½ tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
Fry chana dal, red chillies, asafoetida in a tsp of oil until golden. Transfer to a plate and add cubed tomato.
Once tomato is soft, transfer to a plate and let all the ingredients cool down.
First powder red chilli, chana dal, asafoetida with salt and coconut. Later add tomato and little water.
Grind to slightly coarse paste, not too coarse. Just make sure its not too smooth. Adjust water consistency. Temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ table and mix with chutney.
- Chana dal should be more and tomato should be very less. Coconut can be adjusted as per your wish.
- In case you do not have tomato, you can add a pinch of tamarind too.
- You can add one garlic flake to this, fry in oil and add.
- This can be made without coconut too, add little more chana dal.