Kumbakonam kadappa is a popular south Indian side dish for idli, dosa mainly in Thanjavur, kumbakonam. Full video recipe with step by step pictures.
- 1/4 cup Moong Dal/ Paasi paruppu
- 2 Potato
- 2 Onion
- 4 Green Chillies
- Salt - As needed
- Lemon Juice From 1/2 of a lemon
- 1 tsp Coconut oil
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves For garnish
- 1/2 cup Coconut grated
- 2 Green chilli
- 1/2 tsp Fennel seeds/ Soambu Optional
- 2 Garlic flakes
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 Cinnamon piece
- 1 Biryani leaf
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
First, pressure cook potato and moong dal.Peel the potatoes,mash it and mash the moong dal too.
Slice onion and green chillies.Grind coconut,fennel (If addinand garlic with water to a smooth paste.
Heat a pan with oil and temper with the items given under" ‘To temper’ table. Add onion,green chillies and fry until onion turns just transparent,do not let it change its colour.
Pour 2 cups water,salt and boil for 3 minutes. Add the mashed dal and potatoes.Mix well, bring to boil.
Keep in low flame as after adding dal and potato it easy gets burnt at the bottom,so keep stirring. add the Ground masala,mix well and cook until the gravy thickens.
- Add garlic only maximum two flakes,otherwise it will give different flavour. If you use bigger flake,just use one.
- I have skipped fennel seeds in the video and yet the flavour is awesome with cinnamon, garlic combo.
- Instead of lemon juice,you can add 1 tomato in the recipe. Just fry after onion and proceed.
- Instead of grinding garlic along with coconut you can crush it and fry along with onion too,just add 2 more garlic flake additionally.
- Kadappa is usually white in colour in our mess,I too didn't add any turmeric in the recipe, add turmeric if you like it.