Thengai sadam, coconut rice is a simple south Indian variety rice with a burst of flavors from fresh coconut and coconut oil. Learn how to make thengai sadam with goodness of urad dal.
- 1 cup Rice
- ¼ cup Urad dal white
- ½ cup Coconut grated
- Salt - As needed
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil /ghee
- ½ tsp Mustard
- 6 cashew nuts
- 4 Green or red chilli
- 1 Curry leaves sprig
- Asafoetida a generous pinch
Cook rice with ratio 1:2 (adjust the water ratio according to the rice variety you usfor 3 – 4 whistles. Add a tsp of ghee and required salt and fluff the rice.
Soak urad dal for 1 hour, drain the water and dry roast it in a pan until its turns golden brown and nice aroma wafts
You can skip this step and add the urad dal while tempering too, but make sure to keep enough oil for tempering.
Heat the pan with oil,temper with the items given under the ‘To temper’ table in order.Add the coconut and roasted urad dal and just give it a stir for ½ minute.
Add cooked rice to it and mix well.
Top with remaining ghee, drizzle with generous coconut oil as garnish.
- Roasting the urad dal well is a must, otherwise it will become chewy.
- Coconut oil is recommended as it lends a lot of flavour to the recipe. Make sure to use virgin coconut oil and use more without any guilt - 3 tbsp for this recipe.
- Do not use hands for mixing as coconut rice tends to get spoiled easily. Make sure to roast coconut well, this prevents from spoiling soon.
- Also adding lots of oil prevents spoiling.