Ulundu bonda recipe
Ulundu bonda recipe, mysore bonda made with urad dal as main ingredient. Chopped coconut and whole pepper take the taste to a whole new level. perfect snack recipe for evening with coffee or tea.
Servings: 20 bondas
- ½ cup Urad dal white, whole
- 3 tbsp Fresh coconut bits (chopped)
- 2 tsp Black pepper
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida
- Salt as needed
- 2 tbsp Coriander & curry leaves chopped
- 2 tsp Rice flour
- 1 Green chilli Optional
- Oil - To deep fry
Soak urad dal for 2-3 hours and grind with less water until fluffy and smooth.
Add chopped coconut bits,salt,asafoetida,coriander/curry leaves,rice flour,black pepper and mix well.
Heat oil in kadai and keep a small bowl of water to grease your hand,grease ur hand well with water and make small desired sized balls.
Drop in oil carefully. Lower the flame and cook both sides until golden in colour. When you turn over to cook the other side,you can keep the flame in medium high. Just make sure the inside gets cooked. For this you have to cook slowly.
Drain in paper towel and enjoy the hot, crisp bondas!
- Here's a tip to grind urad dal : Soak for 2 hours and keep an hour minimum inside fridge for chilling.
- Use ice water to grind the urad dal. Grind the batter with very less water and do not run the mixer for long time. Give just quick pulses.
- I used only little more than ¼ cup water. This varies upon the urad dal quality.
- If your batter is not good for making shapes, keep in the fridge for an hour and then try making.
- If you want you can add a green chilli and a piece of ginger while grinding. You can also add a tsp of jeera along with pepper.
- If your urad dal is old and less in quality, you may not get more volume of batter, apparently you will get less numbers of bondas.