Wheat flour appam recipe
Wheat flour appam recipe with full video and step by step pictures. Instant version that takes under 30 mins, made for traditional festivals like Gokulashtami, karthigai deepam
- 1 cup Wheat flour
- 2 tablespoon Rice flour
- ¾ cup Jaggery crushed
- ½ cup Banana mashed
- 1 Cardamom
- 1 pinch Cooking soda
- Oil or ghee - For frying
- Salt - A big pinch
First powder the jaggery and mix all the ingredients wheat flour, rice flour, mashed banana, cooking soda, cardamom and salt with water.
The consistency should be thick like vada batter.
Heat oil in kadai, when hot, pour the batter with help of a ladle. Perfect heat of oil can be known by, as you pour the batter, appam should not settle down,but should come up.
Keep in low medium flame when you cook to ensure even cooking,without burning. Fry till golden brown and drain from oil to kitchen towel and enjoy!
- You can substitute wheat flour with maida/all purpose flour.
- You can also substitute jaggery with sugar.
- If you feel/doubt jaggery having any impurities,melt it with little water in stove,and filter it.then add the wheat flour to it and make batter,adjust water proportion.
- Can fry more than one at a time,depending upon the amount of oil we keep for frying
- Adding banana give a nice flavour and softness to the appam,but it can be omitted too.(In my opinion,if we omit banana,the softness reduces,but you get the full flavour of wheat flour,so its up to you)!
- You can fry in ghee,which will give an excellent taste.