Badam halwa recipe
Badam halwa is easy recipe to prepare yet a rich dessert, sweet to enjoy for special occasions. Tastes rich with the goodness of almonds, ghee and sugar as main ingredients.
- ½ cup Badam/ almonds Heaped
- ½ cup Sugar Heaped
- ¼ cup Ghee
- 3 tablespoon Condensed milk Optional
- 1 Pinch Saffron or yellow food colour
- 1 Cardamom powdered
Soak badam for 1 hr in enough water. Peel the skin and grind it with ¼ cup milk or water to a really smooth paste.
Take a heavy bottom pan or non stick pan(preferably deep pan to avoid splattering). Add sugar and ½ cup water and bring to boil and wait until the sugar dissolves. Simmer the stove to medium.Add the ground paste and mix well to avoid lumps.
Add condensed milk if adding, saffron soaked in luke-warm milk or food colour and cardamom. Keep stirring for 4 minutes.
Add a teaspoon ghee in regular intervals and keep stirring until the halwa starts leaving the pan. After that very soon say 3 minutes, you will see whitish bubbles start appearing at the bottom where you stir. This is the right stage and pour in a greased plate to let it cool down.
- While grinding the almonds, after the few seconds of grinding, make sure you wipe off the sides and lids of the mixer to ensure even texture.
- Add more water while grinding if its needed. I had given only approximate measure.
- Adding condensed milk is purely optional. It enhances the taste, but it takes a while more than usual if you add. but only a little, tastes great!
- Adding ghee is very important for halwas. If you are concerned about the ghee, please do not make :) Definitely there will be texture wise/ taste wise compensation if you reduce ghee.
- If your halwa is sticky, then you need to add more ghee and keep stirring for a while again.
- The consistency will be perfect if you do the whole process in medium flame.
- After cooling down completely, the texture gets thickened a bit. So be patient till it cools down. If you find it still sticky, then you can always stir again in the pan and add more ghee to get the right consistency!