Dosa recipe, learn how to make dosa batter at home easily. Step by step photos and video to show how to spread dosai over tawa.
- Raw rice - 1 cup
- Idli rice - 1 cup
- Urad dal - 1/2 cup
- Toor dal - 2 tsp
- Chana dal - 2 tsp
- Poha/ aval/ flattened rice - 1/4 cup
- Salt - as needed
Soak everything except salt in the ingredients together for 3 hours atleast after washing it 3 times.Grind it with little water in mixie. Need not be too smooth. Add water very carefully. You can grind in two batches and add salt in one batch and mix it lastly together.
Keep overnight for fermentation (12 hours). It will ferment well. Morning stir well and make dosas. Adjust consistency if its too thick by adding very little water.
Heat tawa, pour 2 ladles full of batter and spread evenly. Then drizzle enough oil over it and cook until its golden in medium flame. No need to flip.
- Right consistency and fermentation is key for even browning.
- You can brush with butter to make it more tastier.
- Add methi seeds, if you want the dosa on softer side. (1/2 tsp)
- In case it gets little more watery, add a fist full of rawa /sooji/ semolina.
- Refer this page for more tips.