Chana dal halwa recipe
Chana dal, split bengal gram is soaked, roasted well in lots of ghee until aromatic, cooked in milk and added with sugar to make this simple sweet, chana dal halwa.
- 1/2 cup Chana dal
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup + 2 tsp Ghee
- 1 Cardamom
- 5 Almonds or cashews
Soak chana dal for 3 hours. Drain water completely and transfer to the mixer. Grind coarsely without any water.
Heat a pan with ghee, add ground chana dal. Mix to avoid forming lumps.
Continue roasting so that the ground chana dal is resemble a crumble. It will turn starting golden and fragrant.
Set aside. Boil milk along with 1/2 cup water.
Add the roasted chana and mix well to avoid lumps.
Continue cooking in medium flame or low flame until it absorbs all water+ milk and gets cooked.
Add sugar and stir well. The sugar will melt and mix with the chana dal.
When the halwa starts leaving sides add cardamom powder and nuts to garnish.
- While grinding chana, make sure to drain water completely.
- Do not grind continuously, just give a run, wipe the sides to ensure even powdering.
- Repeat few times to coarsely grind chana dal.
- Reducing ghee will give dry texture instead of halwa consistency.
- Adding water equally with milk is important to cook the chana.
- If chana is not cooked properly, the halwa texture will not be soft. It will be chewy.