Thavala vadai recipe
Thavala vadai recipe (step by step pictures) with rice and mixed lentils and a magic ingredient - Sago to make it more attractive, soft and tastier.
- 1/2 cup Parboiled rice/Idli rice
- 1/4 cup Chana dal/ Kadala paruppu
- 1/4 cup Toor dal/ Thuvaram paruppu
- 1/4 cup Moong dal/ Paasi paruppu
- 1/4 cup Urad dal/ Uluntham paruppu
- 1/4 cup Sago/ Javarisi
- 8 Red chillies
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup Chopped fresh coconut bits
- 1/8 tsp Asafoetida
- Salt - As needed
Soak rice separately and other dals separately and sago separately for 3 hours. First grind red chillies, add rice with little water. Grind to a fine rava consistency batter.
Add soaked, drained dal and grind again to a coarse paste.Batter should be thick.
Transfer to a mixing bowl and mix soaked drained sago, coriander leaves, curry leaves, asafoetida, coconut and required salt. Heat oil pour this batter using a small ladle.
Cook in medium flame until golden in colour (flip once and cook both sides). Drain in paper towel.
- You can add ginger while grinding for extra flavour.
- Sago can be medium sized or small sized ones.
- If you do it with adai batter, make sure the batter is thick.
- Grinding the dal coarsely gives a nice texture to the vadai.