Masala dosa recipe
Masala dosa is my favourite in my childhood days. I love the Potatoes cooked in a simple yet flavourful way that goes well as both stuffing for dosa and with puri/ poori.
- 3 Potatoes big sized
- 1 Onion
- 2 tbsp Carrot finely chopped
- 2 Green chilli
- 1 tbsp Finely chopped ginger
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 2 tsp Chana dal
- 5 Cashew nuts
- 1 Curry leaves sprig
Wash and cut each potato into 4 and pressure cook with 1/2 cup water for 3 whistles. Peel off the skin and mash it well. Heat a pan with oil and temper with the items given under ‘to temper’ table in order. Let the cashews turn golden.
Add chopped ginger, green chilli, onion, carrot and fry well for a minute. Add 1/4 cup water and turmeric.
Add the mashed potatoes and mix well. Fry for 2-3 minutes, add oil if needed more.
Spread dosa (refer tips page – dosa tips) thin , drizzle some oil or best ghee and when it gets cooked, no need to flip, just spread a ladle full of masala prepared in the middle.
- Use 1/2 tsp ghee along with oil for each dosa , which makes the masal dosa smell divinely. Restrict yourself to one or two to take care of your health/ diet.
- Adding finely chopped ginger not only enhances the flavour, also helps in digesting the potato.Just make sure to finely chop, then you wont even get it to know while eating.
- Even If you don’t want that, you can also grind the ginger and green chilli with water mentioned in step 2 and use it.
- I use coconut oil for making this masala, which adds more flavour.