Instant nei appam recipe
Instant nei appam with rice flour without any soaking time. Learn how to prepare quick and easy nei appam with just few basic ingredients.
- 1 cup Rice flour
- ¼ cup Ghee / nei
- 1 cup Pure Jaggery powder or Brown sugar
- 1 Banana over ripen
- 1 tablespoon Wheat flour
- 2 Cardamom
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
In a blender, place banana, jaggery or brown sugar, cardamom, salt and grind smoothly.
Add rice flour and wheat flour to it along and blend again.
No need to add water. If needed only add later maximum 1 or 2 tbsp. Batter should be like pancake batter or idli dosa batter consistency.
Transfer to the bowl. Heat appe pan/ paniyaram pan and generously drizzle with ghee.
Pour the batter in the shallows (kuzhi) and cook covered in medium flame.
Flip and cook again to cook until golden on both sides. Add ghee more on top if desired.
- Overripe banana works best as it gives necessary softness, water to the batter.
- Towards end, it gets brown faster, so keep an eye. The jaggery / brown sugar caramelizes and gives crispy texture too.
- Be generous with ghee. You can also use ghee + sesame oil.
- I used long variety, it was not overripe so had to add some water.
- The batter should be like the idli dosa batter.
- If needed add a pinch of cooking soda.
- Use two banana if you use the small variety. Or may be ¾ cup if sliced to be approximate.
- Cook in medium or low flame to ensure inside of the appam gets cooked.
- If using jaggery, powder roughly and then measure.