Idli milagai podi recipe
Idli milagai podi recipe, a spicy, flavourful homemade coarse idli podi or Ulutham paruppu milagai podi, quick video, step by step pictures recipe.
Servings: 1 cups
- Urad dal - ½ cup
- Channa dal - ¼ cup
- Red chillies - 20
- Asafetida - ¼ tsp
- Sesame seeds - 1 tsp
- Coconut - 1 tbsp grated (optional)
- Raw rice - 1 tsp optional
- Oil - 2 tsp
Roast all the ingredients (except coconut) in oil, except salt. Do it in medium flame with constant stirring. Roast until deep golden brown.
Transfer to a plate to cool down. Dry roast grated coconut until deep golden in colour too.
Grind first red chillies and salt to a fine powder. Then add the other ingredients to powder coarsely.
- The colour will be brighter only if you use chilli as mentioned.
- Mine is mild spice. I choose bright red long red chilli variety.
- If powdered into more fine powder, colour may tend to become pale.
- Always grind red chillies frist. Then add the dal to get a coarse perfect texture.
- My Mother in law adds a sprig of curry leaves while roasting and grind it along for a great flavor.
- Asafoetida is the main flavoring ingredient to give the authentic flavor in this.
- If adding powder asafoetida, add lastly while roasting.