Ven pongal is a very easy and comfort food. A famous South Indian breakfast. Learn how to make ven pongal with step by step pictures.
- Raw rice - 1 cup
- Moong dal/pasi paruppu - 1/4 cup
- Water - 5 cups
- Salt - as needed
- Ginger chopped - 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida - 1 pinch
- Ghee - 2 tblsp
- Pepper - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 & 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Asafoetida - 2 pinches
- Cashews - 8 Split/ broken
An optional step is to roast the moong dal for extra flavour. Wash rice and dal together. Heat a small cooker with a tsp of ghee. Fry ginger and asafoetida for few seconds.
Add 5 cups of water,bring to boil. Add the washed rice,dal,salt and pressure cook for 4 whistles in medium flame.Wait until pressure gets released by itself,open & mash.
Temper with the items given under the table. First add ghee, when hot add pepper and let it start splutter and then switch off the flame. Add cashews and fry till it starts golden and then lastly add jeera. Add curry leaves and asafoetida lastly. Mix in the heat well and then add it to pongal and mix well.
- If the pongal is watery when you open, then you can try keeping it again in stove and mix well until water evaporates. This happens because of the cooker's make model, if the whistle comes in short intervals.
- If it is too dry/thick then add some hot water to bring it to desired consistency. Make sure to balance salt.
- Dont let the cumin seeds burn while frying, as it changes the whole taste of pongal.
- If you want/like pepper flavour, you can add 1 tsp of pepper coarse powder to the pongal lastly while mixing. It gives a great flavour and turns more spicy.
- One of my maamis use dalda 50% or oil for making pongal and it tastes great, but it's slightly feels heavy or full in just few spoons. Homemade ghee is best for pongal.