Kanda batata poha recipe
Kanda batata poha recipe, cooked with lots of onions to make it mildly sweet and with potatoes to make it filling and tasty. A popular Puneri (Maharashtra) breakfast.
- 1 cup Poha/ flattened rice thick variety
- 2 Onion
- 3 Green chilli
- 1 Potato Optional
- ⅛ tsp Turmeric
- ½ tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 3 tbsp Coriander leaves chopped
- Salt - As needed
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ½ tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Asafoetida generous pinch
- 3 tbsp Peanut roasted
- 1 Curry leaves sprig
Wash poha thoroughly 2-3 times. Drain water and immediately mix turmeric, salt and keep aside.
Mean while you can do the chopping work. I microwaved it to cook. You can choose your own option. If microwaving, cook covered without adding any water for a minute or two in high. Or you can add along onion and cook covered in pan itself. Adding potato is optional.
Heat a pan with oil and splutter mustard, add cumin seeds, peanuts. Give it a quick stir. Add asafoetida and curry leaves. In goes onion, green chillies and fry till onion just transparent. Add sugar and give it a stir.
Add boiled potato with a sprinkle of salt and fry for a minute. Add poha and mix well.
Pat it gently to pack it and cook covered in medium flame for 2-3 minutes. Lastly add coriander leaves and lemon juice. Mix well.
- I always add turmeric to poha, for even colouring. This is the way my mom always follows for lemon and tamarind poha too. You can add it while frying onion too.
- Add lots of onion, as it gives the flavour to the dish.
- Do not skip asafoetida and cumin seeds .