how to make masala tea
Learn how to make masala tea at home with perfect balance of flavours. Milk tea with perfect blend of spices. Full video and detailed step by step pictures.
- Tea powder - 2 tsp I used Lipton yellow label
- Milk - ½ cup
- Water - 1 & ½ cup
- Cinnamon - 1 inch piece
- Green cardamom - 1
- Cloves - 1
- Nutmeg - 1 pinch
- Ginger - 1 tsp crushed
- Sugar - 2 tsp
Take out the seeds from a cardamom and crush it well. Crush a piece of ginger too (without skin).
In a vessel, bring 1 & ½ cups of water to rolling boil. Add crushed ginger, cardamom, cinnamon and clove.
Grate or sprinkle a pinch of nutmeg, 2 tsp of tea powder.
Simmer for 3 minutes. Add ½ cup milk and 2 tsp of sugar.
Bring to boil again and simmer for 4 more minutes.
Filter through a metal strainer and serve hot.
- Choose fresh spices for best results.
- Cardamom smells best when the seeds inside are dark and black.
- You can crush other spices too, but I feel for a subtle flavour, it is best when added as such.
- You can add more milk and simmer for more time for rich tasting tea.
- Sugar can be added according to personal preference.
- Mix as soon as you pour to serving cups. Otherwise a thin layer will form.