Khaman Dhokla recipe
Khaman or Khaman Dhokla recipe, a healthy snack made with besan, which is way too easy and delicious too. Full video, step by step recipe.
Prep Time5 minutes mins
Cook Time15 minutes mins
- 1 cup Besan gram flour
- ½ cup Curd
- ½ cup Water
- 2 Green chilli
- 1 inch Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Sugar - 1 tsp
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- 1.5 teaspoon Eno fruit salt Refer notes
- 1 pinch Turmeric powder optional
- 2 tablespoon Coriander leaves
- 3 tablespoon Coconut Optional
- 2 teaspoon Oil - 2 teaspoon
- ½ teaspoon Mustard - ½ tsp
- ⅛ teaspoon Asafoetida
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- ¼ cup water
Firstly, crush ginger and green chilli to a paste.
Secondly, take a flat bottomed vessel, (I used the cooker container) grease it generously with oil.
After that, take besan in a mixing bowl.
Then add the crushed ginger green chilli, water, curd, lemon juice, turmeric, sugar and salt to it.
Mix well and keep aside.
Add the eno salt to the besan mixture only at the time you are going to steam. Make sure to mix well.
Steam this mixture for 10-12 minutes.
Insert a knife to check if its done. It should come out clean.
Keep for 5 minutes to cool down and then invert to a plate. Cut into squares.
Heat oil in a tadka pan. Once hot, add mustard, let it splutter. Then, add asafoetida, chillies to it.
Spread it over the steamed khaman.
- You can add just 1 teaspoon Eno and see the batter is fluffy. If not, you can add additional ½ tsp.
- If you use excess water than mentioned then it will turn out gooey.
- Make sure to use ginger and asafoetida generously for nice aroma in khaman.
- You can even add asafoetida raw, in the batter. A pinch will be enough.
- Never add more turmeric, you may not tolerate that smell (experience ;)
- If you don’t have eno fruit salt you can replace it with ½ teaspoon cooking soda.
- I love the juicy and sweet touch when we add sugar water. So do try once if you like it.