Dhokla recipe, a healthy snack made with besan (chickpea flour) which is way too easy and delicious too. Full video, step by step recipe.
- Besan/ gram flour - 1 cup
- Curd - ½ cup
- Water - ½ cup
- Green chilli - 2
- Ginger - 1 inch piece
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Eno fruit salt - 1 & ½ tsp
- Salt - As needed
- Turmeric powder - 1 small pinch optional
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp
- Coconut - 3 tbsp Optional
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard - ½ tsp
- Asafoetida - ⅛ tsp
Grind ginger and green chilli with little water*(refer notes). Take besan in a bowl, add the ground ginger green chilli, water, curd, lemon juice, turmeric, sugar and salt to it.
Mix well and keep aside. Take a wide flat bottomed vessel, (I used the cooker container) grease it generously with oil. Mix the eno salt to the besan mixture, at the time you are going to steam. Make sure to mix well.
Steam this mixture for 10-12 minutes. I steamed in the pressure cooker,without the pressure valve. Insert a knife to check if its done. It should come out clean. Keep for 5 minutes to cool down and then invert to a plate. Cut into desired shape.
Temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ table and spread it over the pieces and garnish with coriander leaves,grated coconut.
- *When you grind with water, use it from the ½ cup water that I have mentioned in the ingredients.Do not use excess water.If you use excess water than mentioned then it will turn out gooey.
- Make sure to use ginger and asafoetida generously for nice aroma. You can even add asafoetida raw, in the batter. A pinch will be enough.
- Never add more turmeric, you may not tolerate that smell (experience ;)
- If you don’t have eno fruit salt you can replace it with ½ tsp cooking soda.You can add just 1 tsp eno too if its new and fresh.
- I love the juicy and sweet touch when we add sugar water. So do try once if you like it.