Red rice adai | Nutritious Karthigai adai
Red rice adai with pepper, cumin seeds, dal and coconut. A nutritious healthier version of karthigai adai or milagu jeeraga adai.
Servings: 10 adai
- 1 cup red rice can swap with raw rice
- ⅓ cup urad dal / karuppu ulundhu black, whole with skin
- ⅛ cup chana dal / Kadalai paruppu
- ⅛ cup toor dal / Thuvaram paruppu
- ⅛ cup coconut chopped - can add upto ¼ cup
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ⅛ teaspoon Asafoetida
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- oil as needed
Wash, soak dal and rice separately in two bowls. Minimum 3 hours.
Drain water once done and grind rice, pepper, cumin seeds first. Add little water.
Top it with dals, drained from water. Grind coarsely.
Transfer to mixing bowl and add coconut, curry leaves, asafoetida, salt and mix well.
Heat tawa and spread a thick adai. Cook in medium flame.
Once almost cooked, flip and cook one more minute. Repeat to finish.
- Depending on personal preference, you can make it thick or thin.
- Though I have added bit more oil, it's not a must to add more. So you can control oil level too.
- Coconut oil will also be very nice to use while cooking.