Bread upma recipe
Bread upma recipe - Easy breakfast, after school snack or even lunch box idea for your kids with bread as main ingredient and other easily available ingredients.
- 4 Bread slice
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tomato
- 2 Green Chilli
- ¾ tsp Sambar powder
- ⅛ tsp Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Ginger garlic paste optional
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1 Curry Leaves sprig
- Coriander leaves To garnish
- Salt as needed
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard - ¾ tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Chana dal - 1 tsp
- Cashew nuts optional - 4
Cut the bread slices into bite size squares. Slice the onion, slit green chillies and chop tomato.
Heat a pan with oil and temper with the items given under the ‘To Temper’ table (I omitted cashews).
Fry onions till transparent and add the ginger garlic paste and fry for 30 secs.
Add tomatoes, salt and fry till tomatoes turn soft.
Sprinkle turmeric and sambar powder and stir well. Sprinkle some water.
Add the bread pieces and mix/toss well.
Add ghee, keep in low flame and cook for two minutes to see golden brown spots here and there in the bread pieces.
- Add a tsp of garam masala/ kitchen king masala/ biryani masala/ pav bhaji masala for extra punch and flavour to this recipe.
- You can omit tomatoes and add tomato sauce/ketchup.
- Cashew, ghee are optional to enhance the taste.
- You can wheat bread (or multigrain/whole meal bread)instead of white bread.
- Sprinkle a tsp of lemon juice at the end if you want an extra zing.