Veppam poo rasam
Neem flower rasam / Veppam poo rasam is one which I used to hate. Mom always insists to add some bitter taste in diet at least once in a week or month.
- 1 tblsp Neem flower veppam poo
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind Gooseberry sized
- Salt - As needed
- ½ teaspoon Sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric optional
- 1 teaspoon Ghee
- ½ teaspoon Mustard
- 4 Red chillies
- 1 teaspoon Urad dal
- 1 teaspoon Toor dal
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- ⅛ teaspoon Asafoetida
Soak tamarind in ½ cup hot water for 30 mins. Extract tamarind juice, keep aside. That is mash well with your hands and strain the juice.
Heat a pan and roast the neem flower until u can smell a nice aroma and turns deep red. Do it in medium or low flame. Keep aside.
Add ghee in the pan and temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ table. Add the tamarind extract, salt, sugar and turmeric.
Bring to boil. Switch off the stove and add the roasted neem flower and mix well.
- Roast the neem flower carefully in medium flame until nice aroma rises.
- Do not boil after adding the neem flower.
- Stays good for 2 days even, if kept refrigerated!