Dangar chutney is a spicy side dish for idli, dosai, paniyaram with red chillies, garlic, onion and tamarind as main ingredients. Step by step photos.
- 15 Small onion shallots
- 15 Garlic cloves small variety
- 1 Tomato
- ½ tbsp Tamarind
- 1 tsp Jaggery
- ⅛ tsp Turmeric
- Salt as needed
- 2 tbsp Sesame oil
- ½ tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 8 Dry red chillis Spicy variety
- 1 sprig curry leaves
First soak ½ tbsp tamarind (small gooseberry size) in ¼ cup hot water. Let it be aside for 20 mins.
Once the time is up, mash well with your hands and collect tamarind extract. Add ¼ cup more and repeat and make the tamarind juice ½ cup in total.
Peel garlic and small onion. Wash it and chop roughly. Gather other ingredients ready.
Heat a pan with oil. Temper with ½ tsp mustard, 1 tsp urad dal and 8 torn red chillies.
In goes few curry leaves, followed by garlic, onion and saute well with a pinch of salt.
Add cubed tomato and sprinkle little salt. saute for 2 mins or until tomato turns soft.
Mix tamarind extract to the sauteed items. Simmer for 5 mins.
Add 1 tsp jaggery powder lastly and mix well. Bring to boil. Switch off the stove.
- Balance the spice and tanginess along with salt for perfect taste.
- Adding turmeric and sesame oil reduces the effect of chilli in your tummy.
- You can make without tomato too.
- If you want just the flavour and to avoid the spiciness in chilli, deseed it.