Basundi recipe | Indian Dessert
Basundi is a milk based Indian dessert with simple ingredients like sugar and nuts. Learn how to make basundi, Full video and step by step pictures.
- 1 liter Milk
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 8 Saffron strands
- 3 Cashew nut
- 6 Pistachios
- 4 Almond
- 2 Cardamom
- 1 pinch Nutmeg powder
Take a heavy bottomed wide mouthed vessel and boil milk.
Add a tiny small plate into the milk, it prevents milk overflowing, as well as getting burnt.
Take a tablespoon of milk and soak saffron in it. keep aside.
Simmer for 20 mins. Keep mixing the malai layer that forms on the top of the milk as it forms.
Add sugar, soaked saffron. Bring to boil.
Add chopped nuts and simmer for another 5 mins.
Add powdered cardamom and nutmeg and mix well. Switch off the flame.
- Use heavy bottomed vessel. Adding a small heavy spoon, marble or a plate will prevent the milk getting stuck at bottom of the vessel and burnt.
- Keeping a wooden ladle across the vessel prevents overflowing. But keep in low flame.
- Add saffron less, otherwise it will spoil the taste.
- I soak pistachios, peel the skin and chop before adding.
- You can add nuts of your choice.
- Basundi must not be too thick.