Stuffed idiyappam recipe
Stuffed idiyappam is a fancy fusion of traditional idiyappam, with a masala vegetable filled in it.
Servings: 3 people
- 1 cup Idiyappam flour
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Water as needed
- 1 cup Mixed vegetables Carrot, beans, peas
- 1 pinches Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala powder
To grind to Coarse paste:
- ¼ cup Coconut
- Cumin seeds or fennel ¾ tsp
- 2 Small onion
- 2 Green chillies Optional
- ½ teaspoon Mustard
- ¾ teaspoon Cumin seeds or fennel
- 1 Curry leaves sprig
- 1 teaspoon Oil
Boil water with oil (just till the bubbles start appearing at the bottom) and add this to the flour
Add salt in water and make a smooth dough just like our chapathi dough.
It should be non sticky if the consistency is right. Keep covered till you need.
Boil/ steam cook vegetables with salt, turmeric and red chilli powder till done.
Grind the coconut first then add cumin/ fennel, onion and green chillies (if adding) and grind to a coarse paste, with only very little water.
Heat kadai/pan with oil and temper with the tempering items given and then add the veggies. Stir fry for a minute.
Add the ground masala to this veggie and cook in medium low flame for 3-4 minutes till the raw smell disappears. remove from fire.
To make stuffed idiyappam
Fill in your idiyapam press with enough dough and take a greased idly plate and draw a single layer.
Keep one or two tablespoon of the prepared stuff above it and again layer it with the idiyappam to completely cover the stuff.
Repeat it to fill the idly plate and steam this for 3-4 minutes.
Serve hot with coconut chutney to rise your guest’s eye brows
- Fennel and curry leaves gives awesome flavor.
- You can make without coconut as well.
- Before keeping the idly plate into the idly pot, let the water boil.
- Don’t over cook, to get just soft and fluffy idiyappams.