Paal kozhukattai recipe
Paal kozhukattai with coconut milk and sugar is a treat for your taste buds as well as eyes. Tiny rice balls cooked in coconut milk and cardamom flavor.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 cup Rice flour I used Idiyappam flour
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Ghee
- 1 teaspoon Sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Coconut milk Thick extract (pure coconut milk without water)
- 2 cups Thin coconut milk Second extract, dilute to make 2 cups
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 1 Cardamom powdered
- 1 teaspoon Sesame oil
Take a non stick pan and mix milk, 1 cup water, ghee and the rice flour (add a pinch of salt if you are using rice flour. I used store bought idiyappam flour and it had salt in it, so didn't add).
Heat this in medium flame with constant stirring until the water evaporates and forms a dough.
Add 1 or 2 teaspoon sesame oil now and knead the dough.
The dough should have got cooked almost and this can be confirmed if the dough is non-sticky. (Don't cook in high flame, cook in medium flame as this will make sure that the dough gets cooked)
Keep covered and take your convenient portions little by little.
Make tiny balls of desired size. I made it in size of seedai.
Make paal kozhukattai
First start heating thin coconut milk.
Add the rolled tiny rice balls in two parts. Firstly half of the kozhukattai and wait until the milk boils again and again add the remaining kozhukattai.
Boil in medium flame for 3 minutes or until the kozhukattai float on the top. By now the milk would have gone thicker.
Add cardamom powder, sugar and mix well until sugar gets dissolved.
Lower the flame and add thick coconut milk and mix well.
Heat in low flame for a minute and switch off flame.
- I have used sugar, you can replace with jaggery.
- Extracting fresh coconut milk. - Grind 1 cup of grated coconut (maximum 2 tbsp lukewarm water). Squeeze and collect first milk. Use this in the last step.
- Again place the squeezed grated coconut in mixer and add ½ cup to ¾ lukewarm water, grind and extract the thin milk. use this in step 5. Adjust quantity as mentioned. That is the thin coconut milk should be 2 cups. So add water accordingly.
- You can use coconut milk cream or our dairy milk too.
- Do not boil in high flame after you add the thick milk as there are chances of curdling. But since the rice flour is in there, it will prevent curdling.
- Increase or decrease the sugar amount as per your taste.
- I have used unrefined sugar in the updated video.