Yam tawa fry or Senai kizhangu roast is my favorite. An excellent side dish for a south Indian meal.
I make yam tawa fry very rarely as Vj doesn't like it. Many people don't like it as it gives an itchy feel in your tongue while eating. But when properly cooked, it can be eliminated. I referred Kribha’s blog for this, but adapted the recipe to suit my taste buds.
I usually buy only half of it if the yam is big. If it is small, I buy one whole and use it for making curry, kuzhambu and tawa fry. Make sure there is not soft or moist spots in the surface. It should look dry.
Usually I cover with a kitchen tissue and leave it in counter top like how we keep potatoes. It keeps good for 10 days or more than that depending on the yam. You can also cling wrap the remaining part and keep refrigerated.
💭 Top tip
- Once you buy the yam and if it is really fresh, that means it will have itchy property more.
- Boiling in tamarind and spicing it rightly can eliminate this itchy quality.
- If the yam is not cooked properly, you will get the itchy feeling in tongue.
Goes well with
I have given using both red chilli powder and sambar powder, but you can use anything - red chilli powder alone or sambar powder alone. So there are no hard and fast rules. If using red chilli powder fully, I recommend using coriander seeds powder while coating as it gives nice flavor.
Yam tawa fry | Senai kizhangu roast
- ½ Elephant Yam/ Senai kizhangu
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind thick extract
- 1 tablespoon Gram flour/ kadalai mavu
- 1 teaspoon Sambar powder Heaped
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon Asafoetida (or) Fennel powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric
- Oil As needed
- First peel off the skin of the yam and wash it. Cut into thick slices.
- Next, boil enough water with tamarind, red chilli powder, turmeric and salt. Add the sliced yam and cook it until its just done. Do not over cook. Drain the water.
- Take the boiled yam in a plate and add sambar powder and little more salt . Mix well to coat evenly. Sprinkle little water (1 or 2 tbsp).
- Heat an iron dosa pan, drizzle over some oil and arrange the yam.
- Cook in medium flame until golden brown spots appear. Flip and cook similarly.
- You can add crushed garlic along when you mix the powders.
- Also can add curry leaves while frying.
- Cooking in iron griddle / tawa works best.
- Cook in medium flame to ensure even cooking and browning.
📸Yam tawa fry stepwise photos:
- Firstly peel off the skin of the yam and wash it. Cut into thick slices, but not too thin as well as not too thick.
- Then, boil enough water with tamarind, red chilli powder, turmeric and salt. After that, add the sliced yam and cook it until its just done. Do not over cook. Drain the water.
- Then, take the boiled yam in a plate and add sambar powder and little more salt . Mix well to coat evenly and while mixing, sprinkle little water (1 or 2 tbsp).
- Finally, heat an iron dosa pan, drizzle over some oil and arrange the yam. Cook in medium flame until golden brown spots appear. Flip and cook similarly.
Serve yam tawa fry as sides for rice. I had with rice, Keerai kootu and pepper rasam.
I am off to a short vacation, so hold on if you have queries, will reply to it once back.
so yummy tawa fry
beautiful yams Raji and i love that sauce pan so cute!! easy to make too only do u know if there s any way for the hands to not itch when you cut the yam?
Nice roast,looks perfect wid rice
Hari Chandana P
Very nice and tempting roast... Yummy 🙂
Spice up the Curry
hey raks. this looks really yummy.
It's my fav too ...that platter looks so yum
This is how my husband likes the yam cooked. his mother always made it roasted in big slabs and to this day he might possibly clean sweep the entire lot if permitted to his plate! Nicely roastd yam kari.
Delicious raost,loved this a lot...
Oil less Healthy fry, Loved it...
Nice roast Raji.
Just drooling here, irresistible.
Nice roast,spicy and delicious..
my daughter's fav.
looks perfect raji 🙂
Very perfectly done yam fry even suresh doesn't like this yam. Love the addition of fennel powder
Love this, the masala I use is slightly different, looks super tempting..
My hubby's favo ..will try your version now..
have never tasted this as a roast.. either as as a subzi or chips & we love it.. loved the pan u served it in 🙂
I never tried elephant yam.....this fry looks yum....
I love senakizhangu with rasam sadam. I don't find them here but the moment I visit home, that's the first dish I ask my mom to cook for me.
I have never tried making elephant yam before. After seeing yours, I just can't wait to bring home this vegetable. Thanks for sharing this recipe Raji 🙂
I so love eleohant yam fry and I hate that we don't get them fresh here. This is making me drool!
We haven't tried this at home. So, I'm gonna give it a try this weekend. Add more turmeric or curcumin and partner it with a tea. Yum, yum!
Drooling here, with sambar rice i can have this fry even everyday;
I dont get the fresh elephant yam here:(
Looks very tasty!
Yummy looking roast...looks nicely done!
perfectly done...luv the clicks
B-O-O-O-O Halloween Event Oct 5th to Nov 5th
SYF&HWS - Cook with Spices
South Indian Cooking (SIC) Series
Perfect and beautiful pics. Tried your 1 minute chocolate cake came out absolutely superb..thks Raks for such wonderful recipes. http://cookingupsomethingnice.blogspot.com/2012/10/easy-microwave-chocolate-cake-in-1.html
I love these , so yummy n tasty!
We do similarly but deep fry it. This looks healthy.. Will definitely try next time.
This one is new recipe for me to try,..:)
i made this for nivedhanam's tried and tasted and posted today 🙂 loved it!
Thank you 🙂
half cooked means how many minutes akka..
It always made wrong by me..am so disappointed by seeing it mushy..how to spread those ingredients..just have to sprinkle its dat ok? i am weak in this step akka
plz clarify my doubts
Try not to slice too thin. After the water boils, add the sliced yam and cook for 4 minutes.
thank you akka..tried today with paruppu keerai+pepper rasam and pappad...fully finished akka not a single piece left...got appreciation from hubby.
itz all bcz of u...